Those of you who attended the Flower Festival last spring will recall the very successful stand mounted by the Hermanus Bird Club. Pat Redford put it together and she has once again volunteered her services to design and build our 2017 stand. This year’s theme will be nests and members are asked to assist in this regard
Pat asks that you should look out for abandoned or fallen nests (please do not touch active ones!) Her advice is:
- Shake them off a bit,
- Spray with a little bit of insect spray to rid nest of mites etc,
- Store in a ventilated cardboard box in their garage until September.
- If you know for sure which bird species the nest belonged to, can you label the box accordingly.
- If you are not sure, perhaps you can do research themselves to establish the most likely species, a good learning experience?
- Alternatively we will get the nests all lined up and ask our experts to ID them, so we can label and display.
She would love to have about 100 nests, even if there are several the same, it would make an awesome display! We have at least 100 active members, so she am sure 1 per member or per couple could be achieved? Specially in the windy stormy winter ahead. She would also like to have photographs of nests or birds nesting. These should be emailed to her at email@example.com so that she can start compiling the information and plan the display.
Glenda Furst recently took the photograph below. Mike Ford has identified it as a Little Swift, and it is the sort of image that is needed, so lets get cracking!